St. Vincent’s Foudation supports Best Will in the World Week 2013
Solicitors across Ireland are offering €50 Will consultations during the third Best Will in the World Week 21st – 25th October 2013. Participating solicitors can be viewed on www.bestwill.ie.
St. Vincent’s Foundation is a founding partner of MyLegacy.ie. MyLegacy organisation, in partnership with 400 solicitors, is encouraging people to make a will and consider leaving a gift to their favourite charity, regardless of size and after family and friends have been looked after. See www.mylegacy.ie for a list of participating solicitors and charities.
In direct support of St. Vincent’s, we are delighted that our own solicitor, Mangan O’Beirne, provides a free consultation for people thinking about how to deal with their estate after their death. Mangan O’Beirne, based in Donnybrook, Dublin can be reached on 01-6684333.
Recent research on charitable giving, leaving gifts in wills to charities and will making in Ireland shows that:
• Ireland was ranked as the second most charitable country in the world in the 2011 World Giving Index
• The Index showed that 75% of the Irish population gives money to charity every month (while 38% volunteer time and 65% help strangers)
• However only 34% of adults in Ireland have made a will and of those who have a will, it is estimated that only 10-12% have included a gift to charity
• Having a will appears to be a function of age as 82% of those over 65 years have a will whereas only 51% of those aged 45 – 64 years of age and 26% of those aged 35 – 44 years have a will
• Of those who don’t yet have a will, 30% would like to leave a gift to a charity in their will and this desire is highest among 18 – 24 year old respondents
• Charitable donations in wills are the foundation of many Irish charities generating nearly €26 million per year